Home / News

News & Events

An update from Dean Roellke on Hurricane Irene, August 28, 2011 at 1:15pm

Dear Vassar Students,

Again, many thanks to everyone for all of their collaboration and patience. The campus is experiencing considerable flooding, including the Kenyon Bridge being completely under water and several other areas near the Casperkill Creek and Fonteyn Kill. Thousands are without power in Dutchess County and we have been fortunate thus far. Buildings and Grounds is continuing its assessment of campus conditions and remedying flooding problems as they arise. Trees are also greatly weakened by the amount of rain we have experienced.

We will continue to keep you updated as we work very quickly to continue our assessment of campus conditions. In the meantime, please continue to stay indoors until further notice. Again, we are very hopeful that we will be able to open the All College Dining Center for dinner.

I am also very pleased to report that pizza will be delivered to each residence hall between the hours of 3:00 and 3:30 today.

As we hope the storm will pass us in the coming hours, I want to extend my sincere thanks to everyone for their cooperation throughout this weather event. Our next update will come no later than 5 p.m. tonight.

Sincerely yours,

Chris Roellke
Dean of the College
Professor of Education
Vassar College

Posted by Office of Communications Sunday, August 28, 2011